Forgotten Words... Words that Are Not Really Words...

And what the hell were they talking about anyway?

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Camp

I’m surprised more people don’t know what this means. I had to do a bit of research to properly define it myself, so of course I did not think it up myself, though many will claim I have. “Camp” is:


  • something that is considered amusing not because of its originality but because of its unoriginality; "the livingroom was pure camp";
  • providing sophisticated amusement by virtue of having artificially (and vulgarly) mannered or banal or sentimental qualities; "they played up the silliness of their roles for camp effect";
  • a type of comedy parody wherein conventional (and especially overused or clichéd) situations and plot devices are intentionally exaggerated to the point of absurdity to produce humour;


So pretty much anything made in 1940. Similar to bullwhip, though not to buckwhite, as you might think. “It mocks the medium, the artist, the audience and art itself.” and so on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home